A timely response
Early intervention is key in the case of sickness absence. Evidence shows that absentees who are called by Occupational Health on the same day return to work quicker than those called on subsequent days. For our model, the nurse will call on day one, and write an email to the manager with information on:
- Approximate length of absence
- Any treatment being received
- Whether there is any further support that would benefit them (eg. access to EAP service)
- Whether the condition is likely to be work related
- Whether any adjustments are required to enable a return to work
- Lifestyle/wellbeing general advice.
Individuals are signposted to supportive measures/help and/or EAP service.
Return to work rates after absence of 4 weeks or longer:
Musculoskeletal – 85%
Back Pain – 82%
Stress – 80%
Mental Ill Health – 75%
Acute Conditions – 66%
Other – 78%